Anyway, so I was looking for a nice apple crumble recipe, MINUS the butter and refined flours. Because I do enjoy a nice warm apple crumble on a winter's night. And I don't want to feel guilty about it!
So I came up with this little combination and thought it was really yummy. I mean, you have to remove yourself from the expectation of cakey or floury and buttery crumble. But yummy cinnamon apples and sweet nutty crumble!
Approx 450g apple slices - 3 large apples or 4 smaller apples, peeled and in slices. I used Granny Smith
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Approx 100g water
Preheat oven to 160C
1. Place apples in Thermomix, sprinkle with cinnamon and add water. Cook for 10 minutes, 90C Reverse + Speed 2. Add another 2 minutes if they need to soften more.
2. Once the apples are cooked you have 2 options. You can drain the excess liquid, or leave it in. Then chop apples to desired consistency - around 4 seconds about Speed 3 will come to the following pic. But it depends on how cooked they are, thickness of slices etc, and if you like more pureed then bump up the speed and add some extra time - watch through lid until you are happy. Add to oven proof dish (this just makes about 6 servings)
Clean out bowl and start "crumble"
80g walnuts (pecans could work if preferred)
20g desiccated coconut
40g oats (leave out for gluten free)
50g raw honey
1. Chop almonds for 2 short seconds Speed 5
2. Add walnuts. Chop another 2 seconds Speed 5. Check consistency and chop a second or 2 longer if a finer crumble is desired.
3. Add coconut, rapadura, oats and drizzle honey evenly around the top of ingredients. Combine for about 20 Seconds, Reverse + Speed 3.
4. Add crumble to top of apples.
Cook in oven for about 15 - 20 minutes until gently browning. Serve with Dairy Free Custard for dairy free or ice cream! Yummy!
1. This really is a "do it how you like it recipe" (if that wasn't obvious!)
2. This is not very sweet to the sweet tooth, so add more sugar or honey if you like it sweet - I kept it down for health conscious :)
3. You could probably add other stuff in, but also could leave out oats and add some more coconut for gluten free too.
4. Would I sound weird if I said I would eat this with some milk for breakfast??!!