Disclaimer:
I don't claim to be an expert cook. Or a fancy cook. In fact, I never used to really enjoy cooking. So this is mostly about low fuss, filling and tasty meals, and really just anything I have a go at and decide to share along the way!! My top priority is avoiding additives and preservatives wherever possible closely followed by using whole/less processed/healthier ingredients. But for those who would like conventional options that are quick tasty and cost effective, I would like to share tips on all of these as well!!

Friday 16 March 2012

Shepherd's pie

I am really really enjoying the Travelling with Thermomix cookbook.   So far I have tried the Caesar Salad, Lemon Chicken and Shepherd's pie out of that cookbook and we have liked all of them.  The Lemon chicken was really nice and even cooked chicken legs in the bowl of the Thermomix, so a cost effective meat dish!

But back to Shepherd's pie!  I bought 500g of diced lamb for $8 (reduced because it was about to go past use by date!) so I didn't even need to dice it to make the mince.  Sliced mushrooms, onion, carrot, garlic, tomatoes.. then of course the mashed potato topping.  The potatoes steam in the Varoma while the mince filling is cooking in the bowl for 35 minutes after tomatoes have cooked down for 5 minutes, then you put the potatoes into the bowl and "mash".  All into the oven for 25-30 and all done.  A filling and delicious meal.  I probably spent about 15-20 minutes during that time where I was peeling and cutting potatoes, tomatoes etc, so a good one to do if you have some time early in the afternoon then leave the Thermomix to do it's role, and the oven then to finish off while you clean the kitchen/talk a walk/have a sleep!! I wish....



No comments:

Post a Comment